23 Oct 2013

Argan Oil Review....Is It Worth The Hype?

Argan Oil is something that has intrigued me for a while. I've heard all of the hype and read up on it multiple times.  It is considered to be one of the go to products for celebs and is frequently cropping up in fashion magazines hair and beauty pages.

I’m always a little unsure when the word oil is mentioned because I happen to have very thin and fine hair that I constantly battle with to give it volume and oomph. Oils tend to mean that my hair will be slightly shinier but flat. I decided to bite the bullet and give Argan Oil a chance, just in case it was the miracle hair product I've been looking for. Since this was going to be a trial, I didn’t want to spend the earth. I shopped around and found that Moroccan Argan Oil by Organix was the best value at £6.99 for 100ml bottle. I liked that it didn't look like a bargain product on the shelf!



The Facts

Argan oil advertises a multitude of benefits to your hair including split end repair, restoring damaged hair back to a healthy smooth state as well as strengthening hair….to list a few. As you can see, these are some pretty big claims! My hair has definitely suffered from some of the issues this product tackles, so I was keen to give this a go:

    Hydrates hair in a natural way

My hair was certainly much more hydrated even after the very first use. While I am a natural blonde, I do highlight my hair to give it a more platinum/golden colour. This has resulted in my hair becoming dry over time and nothing seemed to work to stop the ends looking dry.

      Helps to repair and restore damaged hair due to heat products & styling

wouldn't say I’m bad with heat products on my hair. I don’t straighten it because I’m one of those immensely irritating people with dead straight hair (what I wouldn't give for a natural curl or bounce)! I rarely curl it because it’s simply not long enough to do yet. My main sin with heat is definitely blow drying. It’s the most effective way for me to get volume and I only ever let my hair dry naturally if I’m doing a treatment on it before bed or not planning on going out anywhere. I have noticed that my hair is quite brittle and dry on the ends, this is made worse when it’s blow dried. I have noticed that Argan oil has helped to smooth the ends out even when blow dried.

 Rich in omega 3 and 9 fatty acids that will help in the healing of split ends

So, my split ends are pretty bad at the moment. I am definitely due a cut, but I am trying to grow my hair out of a graduated bob and want the back to be a bit longer before I chop the longest bits off to the same length. I've had short hair for the last 5 years and have got to a point where I’m a bit fed up of the limited options I have with my hair. I have noticed a slight improvement since using the oil but it’s nothing to really shout about. In my opinion, you can’t fix split ends, you can only make them appear better than they are. My only hope is going to be snipping them all off!

  Restores and adds natural shine to your hair while helping to treat brittleness of coloured hair, restoring its natural smoothness

Being blonde, I find it hard to make my hair look shiny. In the sun or the flash of a photograph it seems to reflect light extremely well and sometimes makes me look like half of my head is gone because the colour is so light! That’s definitely not the same as shine though. This has helped my hair look more shiny but it’s a fine line between shine and grease, even on the days I wash it. I have never had a problem with greasy hair as it’s naturally quite dry. This has definitely had an effect but I’m still not 100% convinced it’s shine that this has added. My hair is naturally soft and smooth when I don’t use volume enhancing products on it, so it’s hard for me to really rate this point fairly. I’d be interested to see how Orla rates this when she reviews this product as she has more naturally curly, thicker hair than I do.     

Verdict


I think it’s fair to say that Argan oil has some real benefits. I think for the particular type I bought, the instructions could be a little clearer. The suggested amount to use is very vague and I would suggest that if you have thin/fine hair too, only using it on the tips after towel drying. 

It certainly isn't right for me to use as an everyday or even once a week all over hair treatment but I can see how this would be great on thicker and more coarse hair types. If volume wasn't so important to me, I would probably consider using this more often, but 80’s volume is the dream and unfortunately, Argan Oil flattens that – literally! 

I will definitely be using it again, but only as a treat for when my hair is in distress! 

Please comment and follow using the Bloglovin link below if you enjoyed this! Check back for Orla's Argan Oil review - for thick, curlier hair! 

Thanks for checking this out! 

Twitter 
Instagram 
Youtube 
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

Two Girls, Best Friends, Sharing Secrets, Tips & Tricks! Make Up . Fashion . Health . Weight . Beauty . Vintage . Style . Shabby Chic . Design . Music . Disney . Costume . Fun . BFF Twitter - @Twiceuponblonde Instagram - Twiceuponblonde YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKztQ7sRCbFQZeGXdQOMEOw/about